Strange characters can appear in any Blackboard Learn tool that starts with @x@artifact followed by a number and then @x@.
The behavior may affect some but not all users/students.
This is a Known Issue in Blackboard:
Creating a Reusable HTML Object in a Content Area Does Not Give Read Permissions to All Users
Date Published: Sep 05,2012
Article No.: 000018769
Service Pack: 9.1 SP2 (9.1.482.2), 9.1 SP1 (9.1.452.0), 9.1 HF1 (9.1.407.9)
Issue Description: Creating a reusable HTML object in the Content Area (from Menu) does not give read permissions to all course user so students see something like @X@artifact_10920_2@X@
To fix the issue the instructor must modify the permissions on the HTML file that resides in the Content Collection.
To change the permission on an HTML file:
- Access the Content Collection and select the folder for the course.
- Pull down the menu to the right of the content item's title and select Permissions.
- Pull down the menu titled Specific Users by Place and click Course.
- Check the box for the appropriate course in the first area.
- Check the box for All Course Users in the second area.
- Check the box for Read permissions.
- Click Submit.