Eastern Connecticut State University Knowledgebase

Health Services

Article ID: 273
Last updated: 20 Apr, 2021

Joseph V. Breton, M.D., Medical Director

Maria Brennan, A.P.R.N., Nurse Practitioner

Annette Senechal, M.S.N., Registered Nurse

Janine Allevo, Administrative Assistant


185 Birch Street, Willimantic, CT 06226


Phone: (860) 465-5263 / Fax: (860) 465-4560



General Information:


Student Health Services is located on campus behind the science building and next to the high rise Windham Street Apartments. Our office welcomes students who have health problems and those with questions or concerns about staying healthy. We also provide full gynecological services for women, including yearly PAP tests and contraception. Professional staff includes a full-time physician, a registered nurse, and two nurse practitioners. We see students by appointment. Visits are free and are not submitted to your health insurance plan. We offer a limited number of prescription medications and minor diagnostic testing, both for a small fee. A student's medical information is kept strictly confidential and will not be released, under any circumstances, without the written consent of the student.


Health Service Appointment Hours:


Monday to Friday9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


After Hours: If a medical or mental health emergency occurs when the Student Health Service office is closed, students should call 911 or go to the Windham Hospital Emergency Department (860-456-6715), located at 112 Mansfield Avenue in Willimantic. Other sources of immediate care for non-emergencies in the evenings and on weekends include the Med-East Walk-In Center (open M-F 8 am - 6:45 pm, and 10 am - 2:45 pm on weekends),located about 1.5 miles from campus at Gateway Commons in Willimantic, CT. (860-456-1252); Med-East and UCONN both accept most insurance plans including the sickness insurance policy offered by Eastern. Another after hours' resource for students is the Informed Health Line, a telephone service provided by Aetna Student Health, and manned by registered nurses, that students can contact 24/7 with health questions. So if it is midnight and you have a bad sore throat or terrible ear ache and want advice or information, you can call 1-800-556-1555. All of this information is available on our Website www1.easternct.edu/health , click on the "After hours Care" link, or call our main telephone number, 860-465-5263 then select the option or Afterhours Care. 



Health Requirements:


At Eastern, all incoming full-time students must complete the University's health requirements before moving in and starting classes. They include your immunization history, your medical history, and a Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment. These requirements are found on the CSU Health Service Form at the following link: http://www1.easternct.edu/health/files/2013/12/CSUHealthformfinal011411_000.pdf. Please submit the completed health form as soon as possible but no later than mid-August for the fall semester and no later than the second week in January for the spring semester. Students who fail to meet these requirements will not be allowed to register for upcoming semesters .


Regarding immunizations, Connecticut state law requires that all full-time, part-time and graduate students born after 1956 show proof of two doses of MMR (measles, mumps and rubella [G. Measles]) immunizations. Likewise, for those students born after January 1, 1980, you must show proof of immunity to varicella (chickenpox) with either two doses of the varicella vaccine or a note from your doctor certifying that you had chickenpox disease and the date you had it. Also, all new students must complete a tuberculosis screening assessment within six months before the date you enter Eastern. For students living on campus, immunization for meningitis within 5 years of starting at Eastern is required by Connecticut state law before moving into a residence hall. However, we recommend all incoming first-year students, residential or commuter, receive the meningitis vaccine. We strongly recommend the three-dose hepatitis B vaccine series, as well, if it has not already been completed.


The Student Health Service Office does have the MMR and Hepatitis B vaccines, among others, available for fee, however, we do not carry the meningitis or varicella vaccines. Also, you can find both the full time and part time health forms on our website at http://www.easternct.edu/health. Click on the "forms" link on our home page, then on the link to the specific form you need.


ATHLETICS: All students who intend to play sports at Eastern must undergo a specific athletic pre-participation evaluation (PPE) and a copy of that evaluation must be on file at the Student Health Service office before trying out for, or participating in, varsity intercollegiate athletics or club sports. (At Eastern, club sports include rugby, ice hockey, cheerleading, and football, among others.) If you plan to try out or participate, or even if you are just thinking about doing so, we ask you get this evaluation done by your own health care provider. Please download and print the PPE form at:http://www.easternct.edu/health/files/2016/05/PPE-outside-form-1-2015-3.pdf. Answer the questions on it, and then bring it with you to your doctor's appointment. To participate in athletics at Eastern, this specific form must be entirely completed IN ADDITION TO the CSU Health Service Form above. No exceptions will be made


We encourage you to call the Student Health Service office, or stop by, if you have questions or concerns about these health requirements.




IMPORTANT NOTICE: As of FALL 2017, students no longer are required to have health insurance to attend Eastern. Also, the University no longer sponsors a student health insurance plan to students. All of this means students no longer have to complete an online insurance wavier form. Despite these changes, the Student Health Service Office not only strongly recommends, but URGES all students (full time, part time, and graduate) to have adequate health insurance coverage. Even though services in our office are free or have minimal cost, if you don't have adequate health insurance, access to off-campus care could be limited, your health could be affected, and you and your family could end up with some extremely costly medical bills and serious financial difficulties should you suffer a serious illness, require surgery or suffer a serious accident. Also, please be sure you have your current health insurance information with you here at school (health insurance card, photo of it on your phone, or other documentation with the name of insurance, policy number, policy holder, and the insurance company's claims address.) We will be asking you for this information when you call or come in for an appointment.


For students who need insurance: You have several options: You can purchase a plan at the Aetna website directly from Aetna rather than through Eastern. (Check our website for the cost of this plan.) You also can go to the Access Health CT website to find out what insurance options are available in the Connecticut insurance exchange marketplace; or you can call 1-855-354-2428. Through the Access Health CT enrollment portal or contact center, you can find out if you are eligible for either no-cost coverage under Medicaid (enrollment in Medicaid is open year-round), or for tax credits for private insurance plans on the exchange. For students who are not Connecticut residents, you can look for insurance options at Healthcare.gov.


Accident insurance: Please note that all full time students at Eastern, regardless of what health insurance they have, will continue to be automatically covered, throughout the 12 month-year, under an ACCIDENT INSURANCE policy. The cost of this accident policy, which covers accidents both on and off campus, is included in the general University fee each full time student pays. This accident policy is an excess or secondary policy meaning the insurance plan will pay only accident-related costs that are not covered by a student's other (primary) health insurance policy.


This article was:  
Article ID: 273
Last updated: 20 Apr, 2021
Revision: 12
Views: 659